Shop The Flirt Collection
We spend a lot of time waiting. Standing in the checkout line at the grocery store, in the waiting room at the doctor's office, at the stoplight waiting for the light to turn green. The majority of our culture has developed a habit of picking up our phones during these pauses scattered throughout our day. It is hard for us not to be "doing" something constantly, and perhaps subconsciously, we also find it uncomfortable sitting still in our own skin. Silence and stillness can be terrifying! What might it say to us or reveal about ourselves? As much as we complain about our age of distraction, diversions can also be a comfort blanket... Anything to take us out of the present and help us pass the time in between us and the next thing. But it turns out, that these interludes offer us a precious gift â they offer us a moment of stillness and peace, a moment to breath and to reconnect with ourselves.
This disconnection with our present tends to shift our focus onto the when. When I finish school. When I get the new job. When I get married. When I move to a new place. When I get promoted. When I get in better shape. When I can take a vacation. There is so much focus on the next thing that it's very challenging to be at ease in the present. But a simple shift of perspective breathes strength and hope into our present circumstances. We've found a little trick that helps us to be content with where we are today, even in the midst of questions and uncertainties. Make a quick list of 5-10 things you love right now. Write down things that you enjoy but don't always take the time to really appreciate. This simple practice helps open our eyes to the beauty lying right under our nose and to see the present for just that - a present! Here's a combined list our team made with some of our favorite things â
1. Starting the morning fresh with a mug of warm lemon water
2. The perfect song on the radio on the way to work
3. A sweet text message from an old friend
4. The way we feel in our favorite KiraGrace, of course!
5. The smell of chocolate chip cookies in the oven
6. Uncontrollable, side-splitting laughter
7. Family dinner at the end of the day
8. The touch of a loved one's hand
9. The sound of the wind dancing in the trees
10. Snuggling up at the end of the day with a good book